Lumberjack

Sunday, May 14, 2017

First week of IVF - Cycle days 1-8

IVF #1 Process step by step

Sunday, July 3rd - Aunt Flow (late by 4 days, just to mess with me).  Started to take Estradiol every 12 hours to slow my cycle

Friday, July 8th - Baseline ultrasound and blood draw.  I have 12 follicles on my left ovary and 8 on the right.  There may be a cyst on the left side.  Blood results looked good and on Saturday I started taking Gonal F - 450 units and low dose HCG - 50 units

Monday July 11th - blood draw, continue with injections

Wednesday July 13th - blood draw and ultrasound.  There were about 7 larger growing follicles and a handful of smaller ones during the ultrasound.  There was also a little bump at my endometrial lining..  Not sure if it something to worry about.  Hopefully it's not a blockage or something.  So I was slightly emotional because I read that they can cancel the IVF cycle if there are not enough eggs to retrieve.  I talked with my nurse, Jeanette, and she said, it is still early and there is still time for the smaller ones to grow.  She said my numbers were a little lower than usual but she still said I was responding well to the treatment.  Since Saturday, I have been injecting myself with the following:

Gonal-F FSH hormone- 450 units at night
Low Dose HCG - 50 units at night

Funny story:  Last night (tuesday), we went to see the 8:55 pm showing of The Shallows (Crazy movie!).  I have tried to stay consistent for my injections - taking them at 8:50 every night, so I brought my shots and had to have Nate give me the shots in the car before going into the theater.  If anyone saw us, it would be like we were pushing drugs haha!  Last nights shots hurt the worst for some reason. The previous days, it wasn't too bad.  I must have hit a nerve or something...

So tonight, I'll do the same injections, and then tomorrow I'll do the following:

Gonal F- FSH hormone - 525 units at night
Low dose HCG - 50 units at night
Cetrotide - 1 Kit

Friday, July 15th  Tonight I took 3 shots and they all hurt.  I think it's getting in my head.  I have 3 bruises on my stomach now and am running out of room to inject myself.  I had an ultrasound and blood draw this morning and Dr Heiner found about 8 follicles that were getting bigger, so that's really good.  He was much more optimistic today than he was on Wednesday.  I'm optimistic that we'll be able to retrieve the eggs, but not sure how well they will do.  I also found out today that one of my favorite infertility bloggers Jenica from http://www.asliceofstyle.com just had her miracle twin boy and girl, Harris and Goldie after 3 rounds of IVF.  I'm so excited for her and hope I have a similar outcome.

I also found out today that I am taking 4 times as much Gonal-F than regular people.  Normal IVF people take about 125 to 225 units, and I'm up to the 525 units/day.  I feel much more emotional than I should.  Although, I haven't cried for no reason yet... just gotten teary eyed.  I think I have about 2 more days of shots and then my egg retrieval on Wednesday.  So now I am on cycle day 8 and feel ok.  I'm getting sick of the shots and the meds 3x a day.  But it will be totally worth it if we are blessed with a baby.

I'm so glad we have insurance to help cover the costs of IVF.  We are extremely lucky and blessed to be able to do this.  I know a lot of people that can't afford to do it and are on the brink of giving up.  Nate and I aren't to that point yet.

I'm getting excited!  I've waited so long for this.  I think Heavenly Father is teaching me patience, but I wish he could have given me a different way to help me learn.  #infertilitysucks

Here's what my belly looks like after shots so far:




There are two things about this picture:  1.  I am very white.  2.  there are two little bruises by my left arm that are from injecting myself.

The good thing is that I don't feel bloated yet like some others have been.  I've rambled in this post and think it's time to do a new one for week 2

No comments:

Post a Comment