Lumberjack

Sunday, May 14, 2017

New year, another treatment

To say that 2016 was a bad year is the understatement of the century.  After going through SO many treatments and a miscarriage I was ready to start a new year.  So where have we been since the miscarriage?  In Dec 2016, we did our second round of IVF.  My body responded a little better than the last time.  They retrieved 16 eggs from my ovaries.  Of the 16, 11 were mature and 10 fertilized.  We were thrilled!   Before I had the fresh transfer, the clinic checks my hormone levels to see if it is safe to do a transfer.  Well long story short, my progesterone levels were too high and we lost 4 embryos that weren't good enough quality to freeze.  We were sad but still excited that we had 6 frozen embryos to try in 2017.

I don't know what happened, but it took 40 days for my cycle to start which NEVER happens.  So we prepared for a frozen transfer in Feb.  There are a few differences between this frozen cycle and the last one.

1. We are transferring a day 5 embryo instead of a day 3 embryo like last year.  The difference between two days is hundreds of cells which hopefully will give the embryo a better chance to survive and implant properly

2. I am doing progesterone injections instead of progesterone suppositories.  These are only once a day instead of three times a day.  The shot isn't messy and is 75% cheaper than the suppositories.

3. The embryologist had to thaw 4 of our embryos for one to survive.  Last time, all of our embryos made it through the thaw.  That was unexpected not fun news.  The only good thing about it is that we still have 2 frozen embryos left.

We did the transfer on February 22nd.  I took the day off and took it easy that day.  I also made sure to eat avocado and pineapple (any of you that are ttc know what that's for).  The transfer went well and I didn't feel crampy  at all which I though was weird.  I can remember if I was crampy last time but I was feeling much better than I thought.

Here we are on Sunday and I feel like I'm getting a cold.  But I don't feel any of the symptoms I felt when I did get pregnant but it's still really early.  My pregnancy blood draw is on March 6th.  Next week is going to be a long week to wait.  We need to think of fun distractions to keep us both occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment