Lumberjack

Sunday, May 14, 2017

More Shots and Egg Retrieval

Sunday July 17th - 9:45 AM  Went in for another ultrasound and blood draw.  There was one follicle that was 20 mm and a couple 18mm and a bunch of smaller ones.  So with that, they wanted me to do stims for another day and then check and see and most likely trigger tomorrow and have the egg retrieval on Wednesday.

Monday, July 18th :7:45 am This was the first ultrasound with my actual doctor, Dr. Blauer.  He was in Europe for a fertility conference and then stayed another week to go on vacation, but he is back for my egg retrieval which is good.  This ultrasound, there were 5 mature follicles and 3 that were close.  So instead of triggering tonight, he prescribed for one more day of stimulation and trigger Tuesday night, which would make the retrieval on Thursday.  Also,  my progesterone levels are much higher than they should be.  They are at 3.5 and should be under 2.  What does that mean?  It means that there is a much smaller chance of the embryo implanting properly, so there has been talk of not doing a fresh cycle and freezing the embryos and waiting for the next cycle (August) so they can control my progesterone levels and have a higher chance of success.

I was kinda bummed after hearing this news, because of a couple reasons: 1. If it worked, we would be having an April baby, which is my birth month.  2.  We have waited for 2 years for this and now have to wait another month.  3.  There are so many hormones going through me that I'm on an emotional roller coaster.

If it is better to wait for the pregnancy rate to increase or stay the same (a whopping 10%) then I guess it will be worth it.

Tuesday, July 19th 7:45 am  Dr. Harasaka did my  ultrasound and he found 7 follicles that were good size and potentially mature.  So the extra day of injections paid off, but my progesterone was at 3.9, which is a sign of pre-ovulation - not good for a timed IVF cycle.

So,  here's the plan.  Take more Gonal-F - 300 units at 9pm, and then trigger at 11:30pm.

Wednesday - take a pregnancy test at noon to make sure it's positive (that ensures that trigger shot absorbed)  but NO SHOTS!! :)  I took the pregnancy test at noon today and it was positive, so everything is looking ready for tomorrow.

Thursday - 10 am - sample collection and egg retrieval.  We got there at 10 and sat with the nurse for a while to talk about what was going to happen at 10:30.  I went into the room and changed my clothes into my fun gown and cap:


I went into the operating room and the anesthesiologist put in my IV and I was out less than 10 minutes later.  The next thing I know, I was in a different room with Nate trying to wake me up.  I remember saying something about Pokemon Go and some other random stuff.  Nate recorded me.  The good news is that they retrieved 11 EGGS!  Eleven!  I was shocked!  There were 7 mature and 4 that weren't as mature.  They will fertilize them all this afternoon and monitor them over the next 5 days,  If there are enough to do a fresh cycle and freeze some, then that's what we'll do.  If there's only two embryos then I think we will freeze them and wait next cycle so they can control my progesterone and give us a better success rate.

I got a blessing from Nate and my Dad last night and am thankful that my body has done what it's been prepped to do.  I'm excited for the next couple of days to see if those little eggs will turn into embryos.

I couldn't upload the video of the retrieval but the doctor sticks a needle in through the vaginal wall and in my ovary to retrieve the egg sacs containing eggs called follicles.


Here are all my follicles with the little tiny eggs inside.

It took me a little while to wake up, and I just relaxed the rest of the day.  I'm not in too much pain which is good.  Now we just play the waiting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment